Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Journey Twists and Turns

Well, I haven't posted in a while, sorry to say. My journey has taken another turn in the road. My family has decided to switch to a gluten free lifestyle. I had no idea how many food products contain gluten.

If you are not aware of what gluten is: it is a part of most grains. Wheat, Oats, some Barley, etc. Therefore it is in flour. Most every kind of flour. So any product containing flour has gluten. Or it is made with a gluten free flour like rice flour or corn flour and it just doesn't taste quite the same.

A loaf of white bread in my local grocery store is $1.19. A Loaf of gluten free white bread which is half the size of the regular loaf costs $6.00. So at the same time as going gluten free we are also switching to low carb.

Plus, as I struggle with all the dieting options I have realized there are certain things all diets agree with:
  • drink lots of water
  • eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
  • raw produce is better than canned or frozen
  • monitor how many carbs and how many proteins are consumed each day
  • have a food log/journal
  • eat a variety of colors of produce (i.e. green lettuce, orange carrots, red tomatoes, etc.)
  • get some form of exercise
  • get regular and restful sleep
  • be cautious of portion size
  • don't eat lots of oils, salts, and sugars
  • etc.

Therefore, while switching to a gluten free lifestyle, I am also focusing on following these other rules, too.

How is your journey going?

No comments:

Post a Comment