Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Hot Apple Cider

One of my favorite warm beverages during cold seasons is Hot Apple Cider. And when I say "cold," I mean that in two ways: temperature and health. It is chilly outside. The weather has turned cold and snowy. It is the perfect time of year to enjoy a warm beverage. But it is also a germ season. People are spreading cold germs and flu bugs through schools, churches, stores and restaurants, etc. Our bodies need an extra boost to stay healthy and thrive during this germy season. This Hot Apple Cider recipes works on both fronts to keep you nice and cozy warm, while keeping your body healthy, and it tastes good, too.

Ingredients:
- Apple Cider
- Orange Juice (preferably with pulp)
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- (Optional: ginger, hot sauce, and honey)

I use a crock pot, so that this beverage can be cooking all day and ready whenever I (or my family) would like some. Also, it helps the house smell good and when company drops by for a visit, you have something to offer immediately. Win, Win!

I pour about a half gallon of cider into my crock pot so it fills my pot about 3/4 of the way full. Then I add the orange juice. If you want proportions, it is about 2 cups of orange juice to each half gallon of cider. Then I sprinkle in some pumpkin pie spice and stir until the spices no longer float on the top. Cover and let it warm.

I add the ginger, hot sauce and honey to individual cups. Just a dash of ground ginger, a drop or two of hot sauce (like Tabasco sauce) and a tablespoon of honey, and this beverages becomes a powerful boost to the body systems. It is soothing, calming, and empowering to your health.

If you are a fan of Apple Cider Vinegar, this is also a perfect beverage to add a dash of ACV to. The flavor blends perfectly and the health benefits are huge.

For those that want to make it look pretty: you can add a cinnamon stick, some whole cloves, and apple slices or orange slices. They will float in your crock pot and look very festive.

I hope you stay healthy, warm and cozy this season. Enjoy your cup of cider!

No comments:

Post a Comment