Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Salads

Do you find salads boring?

Perhaps it is because I grew up in the Small Town Midwest, but for my growing up years I HATED salads. Every gathering needed food and each lunch or supper needed salad. The problem was, it was never salad. It was a bowl of lettuce and bottles of dressing on the side. Yep, usually iceberg lettuce and rich ranch dressing. (Or blue cheese, 1000 Island, French, Catalina, etc.) That is not a SALAD.

For me a real salad includes:
  • Fresh Green Lettuce
  • Chopped Tomatoes
  • Diced Green Pepper
  • Grated Carrots
  • Grated Cabbage
  • Chopped Green Cucumber
  • Black Olives
  • Perhaps Red Peppers, Orange Peppers, Yellow Peppers, etc.
  • Maybe diced hard boiled eggs or diced ham and turkey
  • Shredded Cheese
  • Etc.
My idea of a salad include fresh veggies in various colors, where the flavors blend so well you don't even need salad dressing.

Oh, and since I am venting about how wrong salads can be, I should also add: I do not include potato salad, egg salad, noodle salad, etc. with my veggie salad. So for all those Salad Bar places that include: lettuce, cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, potato salad, pasta salad, fake bacon bits, fat filled crouton crumbles, sliced peaches, watery cottage cheese and 5 fat filled dressings. These salad bars are not satisfactory. They are filled with "Yuck!"

I much prefer salad bars filled with lots of fresh colorful veggies that are cut properly, so you can actually mix a nice salad and have nutritious flavor in every bite.

Anybody agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment